Who Am I?
That’s a very interesting question.
My name’s Steve Car and I’m a Mental Health Recovery And Suicide Prevention Educator.
After multiple childhood traumas, and a turbulent adulthood wrecked by addictions and mental health problems leading to multiple suicide attempts, I emerged a man with a mission to change the world of mental health to make sure no one has to face the adversity I had.
I’ve chosen to give meaning to my life through helping others, leading to my current vision to help people around the world build and live lives of meaning and purpose beyond adversity.
In 2015 I experienced a nervous breakdown whilst at work, which meant I had to be signed off long term. Within weeks of my sickness absence, my employment was terminated, subsequently later that same year I attempted to take my life on three occasions.
After seeking professional help, and then being diagnosed with borderline PTSD, High Functioning Anxiety, Addiction, Stress, Depression and Childhood Trauma, this ended my 25 year corporate career.
On diagnosis, I chose to take the holistic approach to cure, and self medicated by walking Britain to find out what help was available to me, and others, all whilst raising awareness for Mental Health & Homelessness.
Whilst walking, I spoke to businesses & organisations about what help and support they give their staff; it was very limited, largely due to the fact many were inexperienced or uneducated in Mental Health support.
In the U.K 1-4 People will experience a common mental health related issue (such as Anxiety or Depression) every year.
It is more important than ever to understand what mental health is, and be able to identify the signs and symptoms of mental ill health, and to provide the correct support and guidance to those who are affected.
I run workshops and talks for Schools, Colleges, Universities, organisations, professionals, individuals and groups wanting to learn more about Mental Health, Mental Health Recovery and Suicide Prevention.
Some of my bigest life’s achievments came after losing everything, including;
- Walked from Lands End to John O’Groats with just £100 and a tent in just 90 days raising awareness for Mental Health and Homelessness.
- Walked from Swindon to Downing Street to deliver a report on my findings from the walk.
- Cycled 1,500 miles across 7 countries in Europe in 11 days raising money for charity
- Cycled from Liverpool to Lands End raising awareness for PTSD in 4 days.
- Cycled from Barcelona to Paris in 7 days raising awareness for social isolation
- Cycled from Swindon to the Lake District for Mental Health awareness Week 2016
- Ran up Snowdonia raising awareness for ADHD
- Cycled to France in 4 days, 385 miles.
- Cycled non stop for 11hrs for world bipolar day 2018.
- Created Steve Carr Mentoring.
- Created Mindcanyon the Business, delivering Mental Health recovery and Suicide awareness and prevention workshops.
- Created Mindcanyon Mental Health & Mental Fitness community with nearly 11k members, and a further 25 Facebook peer support groups for mental health.
- Qualified as a Private Pilot
- Qualified as a Certified Mental health Life Coach
- Youth Mental Health First Aider
- One of only a handful of Suicide Awareness and Prevention First Aider and trainers.
What I Offer
Mental health, mental health recovery, suicide prevention education workshops and talks, private mentoring.
People who have chosen private mentoring have noticed positive shifts in many areas of their lives.
You’ll gain increased levels of self-worth.
You’ll be able improve your interpersonal relationship skills.
You’ll find your confidence levels increase.
You’ll gain a deeper understanding and awareness of emotions and feelings.
You’ll be able to replace wishful thinking with powerful, result-orientated action.
You’ll see things in such a way you may not have been able to understand or see before.
Expert By Experiance
Adult Mental Health First Aid
Youth Mental Health First Aid
Suicide Prevention First Aid Trainer
Mentoring is for anybody wishing to develop more effectively and quicker than doing it on their own